Hear and Now: BEDFORD
Hear and Now is the Philharmonia’s flagship major intergenerational community creative project based in the Queens Park area of Bedford, led by Artistic Director Tim Steiner.
Hear and Now is a longstanding unique musical collaboration between the Tibbs Dementia Foundation’s Music 4 Memory, a singing group for people living with dementia and their carers, Fusion Youth Singing, a teenage vocal and instrumental group, and members of the Philharmonia Orchestra. Young and old instrumentalists from the North Bedfordshire Youth Chamber Orchestra and Da Capo String Ensemble – a group for learners/rusty returners – form the Hear and Now intergenerational orchestra. Comprising over 150 participants, this multi-layered project is unique in its quality, creativity, diversity, scale, and age-span.
Key features include:
- A platform for participants to create and compose original music and words via discussion, reminiscence and creative workshops
- Mentorship opportunities and peer-to-peer support
- A collaborative, safe environment in which to share experience and challenge stereotypes
- Instrumentalists receive coaching from Philharmonia musicians, and play side-by-side with members of the Philharmonia in performance.
Hear and Now is co-produced with Orchestras Live and is presented in partnership with Fusion Youth Singing and the Tibbs Dementia Foundation’s Music 4 Memory.
The project is generously supported by:
- St John’s Hospital Trust
- Gale Family Charity Trust
- House of Industry Estate Charity
- The Steel Charitable Trust
- The Wixamtree Trust
The future of Hear and Now depends on continued fundraising. If you would like to support Hear and Now, please contact the Philharmonia’s Development team on 020 7921 3903 or [email protected].