Sunday 9 Dec 2018, 3pmRoyal Festival Hall, London
Philharmonia Box Office : 020 7921 3907
Vladimir Ashkenazy conductor
Piotr Anderszewski piano
Mendelssohn Overture, Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage
Mozart Piano Concerto No. 24, K491
Elgar Enigma Variations
Vladimir Ashkenazy returns, conducting Elgar’s heartfelt Enigma Variations alongside Mendelssohn and Mozart.
One of the best-loved pieces in British music, Elgar's Enigma Variations are dedicated to ‘my friends pictured within’. Each variation forms an affectionate musical sketch of one of Elgar’s loved ones – chattering winds gently imitate a friend’s stutter, while a delicate arching melody embodies his love for his wife Alice. Hidden at the centre lies 'Nimrod' – the simple, yearning melody that has since become an icon of Britain itself.
Before, Piotr Anderszewski performs Mozart’s dramatic Piano Concerto No. 24. Stormy and virtuosic, with glittering solo piano melodies, Beethoven once remarked hearing it "we shall never be able to do anything like that".
ABOUT THIS PERFORMANCE
- Prices: £58 (premium); £45; £36; £28; £19; £12
- Discounts: Subscription discounts available; under-18s and concessions discounts available; £8 tickets for students via Student Pulse one month before the concert (limited availability)
- Running time: 110 minutes, including 20-minute interval
- Please note: This performances starts at 3pm
- Download programme notes: Sunday 9 Dec 2018
This concert is part of the Sunday Matinees series