Sunday 30 Sep 2018, 7.30pmRoyal Festival Hall, London
Philharmonia Box Office : 020 7921 3907
Esa-Pekka Salonen conductor
Wagner Prelude and Liebestod, Tristan und Isolde
Schoenberg Verklärte Nacht
Bruckner Symphony No. 7
In the second of the Philharmonia’s season opening concerts, Esa-Pekka Salonen conducts Wagner, Schoenberg and Bruckner at their most heartfelt.
Exploring the nature of love itself, Wagner brings to life the tragic beauty in the story of Tristan und Isolde, while in a single movement of intense lyricism Schoenberg’s Verklärte Nacht reveals his feelings for the woman he would later marry.
Arguably his most popular work, Bruckner’s Seventh Symphony is a musical monument to Wagner. Sensuous string melodies give way to a final brass fanfare, closing the programme with a grand orchestral flourish.
ABOUT THIS PERFORMANCE
- Prices: £58 (premium); £45; £36; £28; £19; £12
- Discounts: Subscription discounts available; under-18s and concessions discounts available; £8 tickets for students via Student Pulse one month before the concert (limited availability)
- Running time: 150 minutes, including 20-minute interval
- Before the concert: FREE Insights Talk, 6pm, Royal Festival Hall
- Download programme notes: Sunday 30 Sep 2018
This concert is part of the Salonen Series series