Strauss, Horn Concerto No.1 in E flat, Opus 11
Composed in 1882 when Strauss was only 18, probably for his virtuoso father to perform.
The 3 movements (fast-slow-fast) are played attaca.
Strauss uses the horn in a melodic way, letting it sing out over the orchestra.
Although the piece is relatively short (only 15 minutes) it has expansive gestures and phrases, which give it a much larger feel.
Movement I: Allegro 4/4
The solo horn comes in almost immediately adding to its grand presence.
Strauss uses lots of dotted rhythms and triplet motifs in this movement.
Movement II: Andante 3/8
The accompaniment is mainly pianissimo.
The horn has duets with the clarinet and bassoon.
The central section is in a major key using pizzicato strings.
Movement III: Allegro 6/8
There is a short intro in 4/4 before the music kicks off into a bouncy 6/8.
The lively feel to this movement is partly achieved by the use of staccato melodies.
The use of syncopation in the accompanying strings drives the music forward
RICHARD STRAUSS 1864 – 1949
German composer and conductor, who lived through two world wars.
Strauss’s father was a professional orchestral horn player, which was a great inspiration for Strauss. He began piano lessons aged 4 and wrote his first compositions at the age of 6!
Strauss was greatly influenced by the composers Berlioz, Liszt and Wagner, as well as philosophy and psychology.
Strauss was deeply interested in human psychology, which is portrayed in his music.
Strauss’s work is classified as late romantic music and was popular throughout his lifetime.
- Rhapsody On A Theme Of Paganini
- Bartók Concerto For Orchestra
- Bartók The Miraculous Mandarin
- Beethoven Egmont
- Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 5
- Beethoven Symphony No. 9
- Berg 3 Pieces, Op. 6
- Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique
- Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2
- Britten In Memoriam Dennis Brain
- Bruch Violin Concerto No. 1
- Bruckner Symphony No. 4
- Debussy Images
- Debussy Jeux
- Debussy La Mer
- Mahler Symphony No. 6
- Mahler Symphony No. 7
- Mahler Symphony No. 9
- Mendelssohn Violin Concerto
- Messiaen Turangalîla-symphonie
- Mozart Horn Concerto No. 4
- Mozart Piano Concerto No. 27
- Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No 2
- Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 3
- Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 4
- Rachmaninov Symphony No. 2
- Ravel La Valse
- Ravel Piano Concerto in D
- Ravel Piano Concerto in G Major
- Schumann Symphony No. 1
- Schoenberg 5 Pieces
- Schoenberg Gurrelieder
- Schoenberg Verklärte Nacht
- Sibelius Karelia Suite
- Sibelius Symphony No. 2
- Strauss Don Juan
- Strauss Horn Concerto No.1
- Stravinsky The Firebird Suite
- Stravinsky Rite of Spring
- Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 4
- Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6
- Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D
- Vaughan Williams A Sea Symphony
- Vaughan Williams London Symphony
- Vaughan Williams The Pilgrim's Progress