First fully performed in 1913
Written over 7 years.
Movement 1: Gigues (a lively dance)
Use of a Northumbrian Keel Row see if you can spot it’s jaunty rhythm.
Movement 2: Ibéria (Ibéria refers to the peninsular that is now Portugal and Spain)
Note: Ibéria has 3 movements - there is no break between movements 2 and 3.
- Movement 1: Par le rues et les chemins (by the roads and paths)
Listen to the Spanish castanets and tambourine.
- Movement 2: les parfums de la nuit (perfumes of the night)
Listen to the dreamy, legato oboe solo.
- Movement 3: le matin d’un jour da fete (the morning of a public holiday)
The violins are strummed like guitar.
Movement 3: Rondes de printemps (Dances of spring)
The high string tremolo evokes memories of winter.
CLAUDE DEBUSSY 1862 – 1918
French, impressionist composer.
Debussy played the piano from a young age, but gave up the idea of becoming a professional pianist when he was a teenager.
Debussy wrote his first composition in 1880.
Impressionism – a style or movement that originated in 19th century French art. The aim was to evoke a mood or feeling, to blur strict lines and form and replace with an impression.
Impressionism in music – Debussy used orchestral instruments in new ways to create his distinctive style, blending the different orchestral timbres and exploring the use of articulation.
- Rhapsody On A Theme Of Paganini
- Bartók Concerto For Orchestra
- Bartók The Miraculous Mandarin
- Beethoven Egmont
- Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 5
- Beethoven Symphony No. 9
- Berg 3 Pieces, Op. 6
- Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique
- Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2
- Britten In Memoriam Dennis Brain
- Bruch Violin Concerto No. 1
- Bruckner Symphony No. 4
- Debussy Images
- Debussy Jeux
- Debussy La Mer
- Mahler Symphony No. 6
- Mahler Symphony No. 7
- Mahler Symphony No. 9
- Mendelssohn Violin Concerto
- Messiaen Turangalîla-symphonie
- Mozart Horn Concerto No. 4
- Mozart Piano Concerto No. 27
- Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No 2
- Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 3
- Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 4
- Rachmaninov Symphony No. 2
- Ravel La Valse
- Ravel Piano Concerto in D
- Ravel Piano Concerto in G Major
- Schumann Symphony No. 1
- Schoenberg 5 Pieces
- Schoenberg Gurrelieder
- Schoenberg Verklärte Nacht
- Sibelius Karelia Suite
- Sibelius Symphony No. 2
- Strauss Don Juan
- Strauss Horn Concerto No.1
- Stravinsky The Firebird Suite
- Stravinsky Rite of Spring
- Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 4
- Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6
- Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D
- Vaughan Williams A Sea Symphony
- Vaughan Williams London Symphony
- Vaughan Williams The Pilgrim's Progress