Britten In Memoriam Dennis Brain
(arranged by Colin Matthews)
Dennis Brain (1921 – 1957) was a fantastic horn player who significantly raised the standard of horn playing in the twentieth century and was the principal horn player for the Philharmonia Orchestra.
Britten wrote the solo horn part of his famous Serenade for tenor, horn and strings, 1943,for Brain. He was very sad when Brain died aged 36 in a car crash. In 1957, Britten began to write a piece in memory of Brain, but it was never finished
Colin Matthews (English composer, born in 1946, who had worked with Britten) completed the work in 2005.
In Memoriam is scored for four horns and orchestra.
There is a reference to the Serenade at the beginning of In Memoriam.
Listen out for the tubular bells, which create a funereal character.
BENJAMIN BRITTEN 1913 – 1976
A dominating English composer in the twentieth century.
Britten lived in Suffolk for much of his life where he founded the Aldeburgh Festival for promoting new music. Some of Britten’s works are set in Suffolk, for example, the Four Sea Interludes, from Peter Grimes, which depict the East coast of England.
Britten began composing as a child and went on to study composition with Frank Bridge, John Ireland at the Royal College of Music and briefly with Ralph Vaughan Williams.
In 1936, Britten met the tenor Peter Pears who performed many of Britten’s works and became his lifelong partner.
Britten revived British opera – there hadn’t been any prominent British operatic composers since the eighteenth century.
Britten developed a unique musical style, which was more accessible than much of the music being composed at the time and appealed to performers and audiences.
Britten’s personal emotions and ideas are embedded in his music, particularly his homosexuality and pacifist beliefs.
- Rhapsody On A Theme Of Paganini
- Bartók Concerto For Orchestra
- Bartók The Miraculous Mandarin
- Beethoven Egmont
- Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 5
- Beethoven Symphony No. 9
- Berg 3 Pieces, Op. 6
- Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique
- Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2
- Britten In Memoriam Dennis Brain
- Bruch Violin Concerto No. 1
- Bruckner Symphony No. 4
- Debussy Images
- Debussy Jeux
- Debussy La Mer
- Mahler Symphony No. 6
- Mahler Symphony No. 7
- Mahler Symphony No. 9
- Mendelssohn Violin Concerto
- Messiaen Turangalîla-symphonie
- Mozart Horn Concerto No. 4
- Mozart Piano Concerto No. 27
- Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No 2
- Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 3
- Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 4
- Rachmaninov Symphony No. 2
- Ravel La Valse
- Ravel Piano Concerto in D
- Ravel Piano Concerto in G Major
- Schumann Symphony No. 1
- Schoenberg 5 Pieces
- Schoenberg Gurrelieder
- Schoenberg Verklärte Nacht
- Sibelius Karelia Suite
- Sibelius Symphony No. 2
- Strauss Don Juan
- Strauss Horn Concerto No.1
- Stravinsky The Firebird Suite
- Stravinsky Rite of Spring
- Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 4
- Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6
- Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D
- Vaughan Williams A Sea Symphony
- Vaughan Williams London Symphony
- Vaughan Williams The Pilgrim's Progress