Beethoven Egmont, Opus 84, Overture
Written 1809 – 1810. 1809 was a miserable year for Beethoven - France invaded Vienna. Vienna was virtually cut off from the outside world and most of Beethoven’s friends fled.
Beethoven was commissioned to write incidental music for Goethe's play Egmont.
The story of Egmont
Count Egmont predicts the liberation of the Netherlands from Spanish rule but dies as a result of his own bravery.
The Overture to Egmont has survived as an independent concert piece, which is now mostly performed without the rest of the incidental music.
The Overture is in F minor, which is associated as being a tragic key!
- Slow, dramatic introduction with heavy chords and a theme in the oboe.
- A descending scale motif at the end of the introduction speeds up, leading to the Allegro.
- Listen out for the way the timpani and brass are used at dramatic points.
- The overture moves from darkness to light, finishing with a triumphant coda in F major.
LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN 1770 – 1827
German composer who developed ideas from the Classical period to form concepts that have now been categorised as representing the Romantic period.
Beethoven is one of the most widely admired composers in the history of Western music. His 9 symphonies were revolutionary at the time. He expanded the traditional symphonic orchestra, writing for instruments such as the piccolo, contra bassoon and trombones and pushed the boundaries of Classical tonality.
Beethoven became deaf in the early nineteenth century, but continued composing, including some of his most famous works: the Symphony No. 9, written in 1826.
- Rhapsody On A Theme Of Paganini
- Bartók Concerto For Orchestra
- Bartók The Miraculous Mandarin
- Beethoven Egmont
- Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 5
- Beethoven Symphony No. 9
- Berg 3 Pieces, Op. 6
- Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique
- Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2
- Britten In Memoriam Dennis Brain
- Bruch Violin Concerto No. 1
- Bruckner Symphony No. 4
- Debussy Images
- Debussy Jeux
- Debussy La Mer
- Mahler Symphony No. 6
- Mahler Symphony No. 7
- Mahler Symphony No. 9
- Mendelssohn Violin Concerto
- Messiaen Turangalîla-symphonie
- Mozart Horn Concerto No. 4
- Mozart Piano Concerto No. 27
- Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No 2
- Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 3
- Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 4
- Rachmaninov Symphony No. 2
- Ravel La Valse
- Ravel Piano Concerto in D
- Ravel Piano Concerto in G Major
- Schumann Symphony No. 1
- Schoenberg 5 Pieces
- Schoenberg Gurrelieder
- Schoenberg Verklärte Nacht
- Sibelius Karelia Suite
- Sibelius Symphony No. 2
- Strauss Don Juan
- Strauss Horn Concerto No.1
- Stravinsky The Firebird Suite
- Stravinsky Rite of Spring
- Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 4
- Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6
- Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D
- Vaughan Williams A Sea Symphony
- Vaughan Williams London Symphony
- Vaughan Williams The Pilgrim's Progress