Recorded live at the Royal Festival Hall's Southbank Centre, the Philharmonia orchestra are led by Christoph von Dohnányi in these captivating live recordings of Brahms Four Symphonies.
"These live performances are about subtle shading and unexaggerated, probing thoughtfulness, bringing out the classical rather than the romantic side of Brahms." - Classic FM Magazine
"... a very sensitive interpreter ... the slow movement [of the first symphony] is very lyrical with some effective instrumental dovetailing and plenty of light and shade, and the finale generates an impressive sense of joyous release." - Gramophone
Christoph von Dohnányi was appointed Honorary Conductor for life in 2008.
- Symphony No. 1 - I. Un poco sostenuto – Allegro – Meno allegro
- Symphony No. 1 - II. Andante Sostenuto
- Symphony No. 1 - III. Un poco allegretto e grazioso
- Symphony No. 1 - IV. Adagio – Più andante – Allegro non troppo
- Symphony No. 2 - I. Allegro non troppo
- Symphony No. 2 - II. Adagio non troppo
- Symphony No. 2 - III. Allegretto grazioso (quasi andantino)
- Symphony No. 2 - IV. Allegro con spirito
- Symphony No. 4 - I. Allegro non troppo
- Symphony No. 4 - II. Andante moderato
- Symphony No. 4 - III. Allegro giocoso
- Symphony No. 4 - IV. Allegro energico e passionato