About our Traineeships
- Development Department Trainee (currently closed to applications)
- Digital Department Trainee (currently closed to applications)
- Education Department Trainee (currently closed to applications)
- Marketing Department Trainee (currently closed to applications)
We offer six training placements and are looking for individuals who are passionate about music and the performing arts, and committed to making a career in arts management and administration.
“The Philharmonia has offered me the opportunity to work within a busy marketing department, developing my arts marketing skills and learning many new ones within an industry that I am passionate about. I have had the opportunity to work with some of the UK’s top entertainment and music venues, marketing a prestigious orchestra, and high class musicians and conductors. This fantastic traineeship has successfully helped me secure a job and I would highly recommend the programme to anyone wishing to start a career in Arts Management.”
Alice Rumsey, Marketing Departing Trainee, March-August 2013
See below for further details (if you would like to apply for traineeships in more than one Department please send a separate CV for each application you wish to make). Please click on the relevant option for further details.
Placements are voluntary and unpaid, although travel expenses (maximum equivalent of monthly travelcard, London zones 1 - 6, per month, during each Trainee placement) and a lunch allowance are available.
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer short-term work placements. Placements are normally awarded on a 6-month basis.
"I found my time as a trainee incredibly valuable. I learned so much, from filmmaking and production, to digital design and PHP scripting. I met and got to know many people within both the digital and classical music industries. But best of all, I felt like I was a valuable part of a talented and dedicated team." Guy Jones, Digital Department Trainee, March-September 2011
Among the benefits offered by the programme are:
- The opportunity to gain inside knowledge and hands-on experience within a thriving and dynamic arts organisation
- The opportunity to shadow and learn from experienced professionals
- The opportunity to form contacts within the arts administration world
- The chance to learn from other departments about their role within the organisation through a series of presentations
- Access to training courses, such as those run by the Association of British Orchestras
- Careers advice, including assistance with CV presentation and interview technique
Successful candidates will be encouraged to attend the Orchestra’s performances and to meet members and supporters of the Orchestra.
Previous Trainees have gone on to forge successful careers in leading arts organisations, agencies and production companies, including The Royal Opera House, The Royal Ballet, English National Opera, Southbank Centre, the BBC, the London Philharmonic Orchestra, London Symphony Orchestra, Faber Music, Harrison Parrott Ltd., Universal Music, IMG Artists, Intermusica and the Philharmonia Orchestra itself.
"The programme gave me a fantastic insight into the busy life of an orchestral education programme and provided me with many opportunities, from being backstage at family concerts to attending workshops with the Royal Shakespeare Company. I learnt a lot in my time with the Philharmonia and the opportunity undoubtedly helped me start my career in arts administration." Ellie Cowan, Education Trainee, September 2009 - February 2010
For queries, please telephone 020 7921 3900.
The Philharmonia Orchestra is committed to equal opportunities. We are working to achieve diversity and welcome applications from all sections of the community.