Project leader Tim Steiner and members of the Philharmonia work closely with participants to create and compose original music, both vocal and instrumental. Inspiration comes directly from the participants via discussion, reminiscences and creative workshops.
2013 brought an expansion of Hear and Now to involve more community groups and augmented vocal and instrumental forces. Building on the successes of previous years, Tim Steiner will use musical material generated in workshops in a newly commissioned piece to be performed in the Bedford Corn Exchange on 21 July 2013.
Hear and Now is constructed of the following elements:
- A mentoring programme imparting ambassadorial and music leader skills to be used during the project and beyond. Arts Award Bronze accreditation is being sought.
- Creative intergenerational workshops, producing lyrics and music in a fusion of styles/genres. Workshops are led by Tim Steiner and involve Philharmonia musicians.
- Instrumental coaching by Philharmonia musicians.
- Vocal coaching by Jeni Melia.
- A large-scale, high quality performance of original material, showcasing of the cultural and musical diversity of Queens Park and beyond.
Hear and Now is a unique community music collaboration, bringing together a diverse cross-section of the local community. Performing groups in 2013 include Carers in Beds, Concord Singers, Da Capo String Ensemble, the First Generation Italian Club, First Tuesday Singers, Fusion Youth Singing, Music 4 Memory, North Bedfordshire Youth Chamber Orchestra, members of the Philharmonia Orchestra, Promethidion, Queen’s Park Academy, 21st Century Education Trust Singers, plus many more instrumentalists.
Hear and Now is presented in partnership with Orchestras Live, and is made possible due to the generous support of the following organisations: Harpur Trust, NADFAS, The Neighbourly Charitable Trust, Orchestras Live, The Steel Charitable Trust, Simon Whitbread Charitable Trust, The Wixamtree Trust and Fusion Youth Singing.
The future of Hear and Now depends on continued fundraising; if you would like to make a contribution please click here.