University Partnerships: De Montfort University
In the autumn of 2016, the Philharmonia Orchestra celebrated the beginning of its 20th season in residence at De Montfort Hall in Leicester with the launch of a major Strategic Partnership agreement with De Montfort University.
The five-year partnership will deliver a wealth of opportunities for students, develop links between musicians and staff from the two organisations.
The partnership is underpinned by DMU’s support of the Orchestra’s De Montfort Hall residency. DMU will be the Philharmonia’s ‘Principal Partner’ at De Montfort Hall for the duration of this relationship.
Key benefits of the partnership will include:
- DMUlocal – DMU’s flagship programme to share the skills of its students and staff for the public good – will team up with the Philharmonia and Highfields Community Centre on a new Hear and Now project that will highlight the benefit of music as a stimulating and therapeutic tool for people living with dementia, paired with the positive effects of intergenerational working.
- A unique collaboration and exchange programme between DMU’s Music, Technology and Innovation research centre students and staff with participants in the Philharmonia’s celebrated Composers Academy.
- DMU’s Music, Technology and Innovation research centre will also become a key partner to the Philharmonia’s Digital team, working together on projects to reach new audiences.
- Members of the Philharmonia will in time work directly with DMU campus ensembles to deliver bespoke mentoring and coaching programmes.
- Student Ambassador and Career Development schemes, which will connect students with the Orchestra’s management, including behind-the-scenes access for students to learn about the business of running an arts organisation.