A pioneering creative partnership between the Philharmonia Orchestra and Soft Touch Arts working with vulnerable teenagers in Leicester, this urban-classical fusion project brings together two expert arts organisations to deliver intensive, skills-enhancing creative activities and performance opportunities.
Guitarist Hope in rehearsal
Philharmonia 2nd trombone, Phil White, with participants
Workshop leader Jason Rowland conducting
Acoustic instruments performing live and being sampled at the same time
Live mixing and sampling by the electronic performers with producers I-Mitri CounterAction and Peri Birtles from Soft Touch Arts
Working in areas within the 5% most deprived in the country, the partnership aims to enhance the lives of teenagers from hard-to-reach communities through intensive creative activities leading to a performance with world-class Philharmonia musicians and Soft Touch Arts producers. Symphonize offers training in performance, music technology, recording, production and composition with experienced professionals, aiming to equip young people with new skills, increased confidence and social connection, broader horizons and motivation.
The project includes:
- Training for leaders, musicians and young mentors, to include skill-sharing and exchanging experiences.
- Outreach ‘taster’ workshops with up to 50 participants aged 11 to 19 with Philharmonia musicians and Soft Touch hip-hop and dubstep producers.
- An intensive project with specialised workshops to compose, produce, record and perform live an original work blending classical repertoire and style with urban and electronic beats.
Symphonize is generously supported by:
- J Paul Getty Jnr Charitable Trust
- Prince of Wales's Charitable Foundation
The future of Symphonize depends on continued fundraising. Find out how you can support the project.